Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Refiner's Fire

This week has been a bit of just that, the refiner’s fire. For one, I never in my life thought I would have a phone call with a 68 year old woman – teaching her from the For the Strength of Youth Pamphlet?!? Seems like it should be the other way around, no?

John is as sweet as ever, just “wanting to understand” and keep apologizing for his questions. Hopefully it will click here in the future that that’s why we’re calling him & teaching him – so that he can ask us his questions! He said, “I don’t think God is up there just playin’ with tinker toys…” and he’s very right. I love sharing with others about the Plan of Salvation; the fact that we know where we came from, why we’re here & what’s in store for us after this life is amazing! What a blessing we have!

A “moment” I had this week happened while we were teaching our investigator Chris; he said, “And as he said that I got that warm, comfortable feeling you talked about and I thought, ‘OH! THIS is what she said it might feel like!’ It was awesome!” You just HAVE to smile when you hear people learning how to recognize the Spirit. Don’t take that gift for granted, it’s so special.

Spanish Marathon this week! I never would have thought that I would be calling people all over the Spanish-speaking world, inviting them to learn about the gospel! The technology we have today allows us to accomplish so much in the church! I love it! My skills have improved so much – it’s fantastic!

Friday morning we took around a group of 10 international missionaries from the MTC. Winter here at the Square is a little less-than-packed so having large groups isn’t common. I LOVED IT! I don’t know why but when we have those large groups and I get to smile, be a professional TMSQ Missionary and share the gospel with all sorts of grace & humility --- I couldn’t be happier. I feel most like myself when I take those large groups around; I’m absolutely in love with it. I can’t believe the end is so close.

Looking back over these last 18 months I can see that I have changed – but ALL for the better. I’ve truly learned to rely on God. Jesus Christ has become one of my best friends. I pray ALL THE TIME and I love it! I thought I understood prayer but I now know what a sincere prayer sounds like. Before my mission, I knew the gospel but after teaching it for so long it has become who I am. This is a sacred truth that is so close to my heart; I am who I am because of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ! With so much happiness in life who can be content with keeping it for themselves? After all, sharing is the icing on the cake J

Thank you for all the love, letters & support!

It’s all true.

Sister Ainsley Despain