Saturday, January 21, 2012

Insights of the Week

I spoke with ex-member Cindy this week & she enlightened me to the idea that Satan uses the “divide & conquer” technique. All the Christian denominations are at each others' throats instead of coming together and fighting against Satan! Even though she was a tad crazy, she had a good point. I respect her a lot because she’s been working for the past 12 years to get back her membership and she wants to bring her husband with her! You go Cindy!

Even in my last transfer, yes I still struggle with making calls in the RC. I’m actually pretty successful at it – it’s just hard to dive in for me. So this week I asked my DL if I could text her at the end of everyday and report on how I used my time in motors. This week has been super productive! I’ve been amazed throughout my mission to see the power of accountability in increasing effectiveness. It never hurts to report back – if that helps! The really wonderful thing is that it can apply to REAL life too :)

I participated in my last Spanish Language Meeting :( It’s only sad because I’ve enjoyed them so much, even if I did accidentally call the Pope, the potato! I’ve learned a lot! This meeting was focused on commitments. Our purpose as missionaries it to invite others to come unto Christ – how can they if we never commit them to change & start walking on this path? Now I can successfully commit someone to live the Word of Wisdom AND resolve any concerns they might have! Ta da!

One of our new investigators from this week is 69 years old; he lives alone and absolutely loves the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. He was raised Methodist but doesn’t attend a church anymore, he believes that churches have become corrupted through the years. Hmm…apostasy much? He specifically said, “When I watch the Tabernacle Choir sing, I can see the Holy Ghost in their faces. They really believe what they’re singing.” Our first lesson with him was beautiful; he says it all makes sense!

Yesterday we called our bomb.com progressing-very-nicely investigator, Chris. Something he said really hit home for me; he said, “Faith is a belief you have without a need for proof.” God has provided us with the evidence that these things are true – The Book of Mormon is just that. I realized though, that even without that proof – I would have this surety that this is the gospel of Jesus Christ. It has blessed my life so much that I have no need for that proof; my belief has become knowledge of these things.

I feel very privileged to be a missionary at this time, sharing this blessing with others.

Make it a wonderful week,

Sister Despain JR