Sunday, September 18, 2011

Our Golden Nigerian Italian Canadian

Guess what I ate this week? Sheep stomach!

My beloved companion celebrated Mexican Independence Day & made “Menudo”. It’s not bad, a basic soup with chunks of sheep stomach & beans. I prefer fajitas :) This is one thing I absolutely love about TMSQ, all the different cultures.

Samson currently lives in Canada but was raised in Italy. However, he is Nigerian. Whoa! Yes a tad complicated but he is 100% worth it. He loves Jesus Christ so much and wants to learn everything possible about him. We asked if he had a favorite story about Jesus Christ and he proceeded to take the next 5 minutes telling us about the significance of the Atonement. He’s *golden*.

Ruben is 19 years old & lives on his own in Las Vegas. He is very sweet and is sincerely interested in learning more about the gospel. I love it. I didn’t hear from him for a few days until he called & left me a message letting me know he’d been in the hospital for three days! I got in touch with him last night just for a few minutes, so he told me the story. He was walking home from a security job at 4 in the morning & got mugged. His arm got slashed down to the bone :( He was able to make it back to his apartment where his neighbors called 911 before he bled to death. He’s doing fine now, with his super cool bandage that only the surgeon can touch…so special. I don’t know why – but several of my investigators have ended up in the hospital?!? What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger?

I went on exchanges with Sister Etienne for a few hours because her companion had a VIP tour of Chinese officials. In the NVC we met “Rum” & “Cola” who have the cutest relationship I’ve seen on the Square. They’ve been married for 40 years and they’re traveling America on his Harley – and still speaking, they pointed out :) He started telling us, “Once – we had a disagreement…” and we started talking about how ideal their relationship is. He told us the key, is to talk. Now that they’ve both retired they find new things to learn about every chance they get. I love this idea of life-long learning…it’s like intelligence is the glory of God…or something?

S.R. had a dentist appointment this week. Grid system a.k.a. YOU CAN’T GET LOST – but WE did! Thank you GoogleMaps for not understanding the genius behind the system. It’s all good, we figured it out & got her tooth all fixed up. On the way home, we stopped at Café Rio for our lunch break and that’s when I had another confirmation of how much I love SLC :)

S.R. & I have been asked to re-do the Historical Script for Temple Square! We’re both Journalism majors so it’s fun to work at editing together.

In short, we had a bomb.com week here at TMSQ where the leaves are a fallin’, the island Sisters are freezing & President Holmes lovingly forces us to eat Cookies n Cream protein bars ;)

Sister Despain Jr.