Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Golden Belgians and my Future Children :)

This week I learned how to say “How are you?” in Danish…but now I can’t remember!

This week was my Golden Birthday and now I know why it’s called that. It was the best birthday ever! Due to my own love of birthday celebrations practically the whole mission knew it was my birthday. So just imagine 180 missionaries telling you happy birthday all day long :) Thanks so much to everyone for the birthday wishes!

I met a woman last Wednesday who went to Jerusalem for her honeymoon! Made me think…Jerusalem? Let’s do it!!! Quite the adventure methinks. I talked to 4 people from Israel while I was on desk, we can’t invite them to meet with missionaries but it’s so cool just to talk to them – they’re from ISRAEL!

We met Bryson on Thursday, sitting on the planters. He is an RM living in Idaho but served in Nebraska. I know, exciting – he made a big difference in my day though. We talked about preparing to go home & schedules with school etc & he looked me in the eyes & said, “Think about it – would you really want to give up a week of this?” It came to a definite no. I wouldn’t trade this for anything in the world. I love being a missionary! There is no greater or more rewarding or worthwhile service I could be doing right now – this is where it’s at :)

I met my future children. Not exactly – seeing as how they already have a mother – but I sure hope they have friends in Heaven who are waiting to come on down here! Ashli, Andy, Ammon, Austin & Aiden (I didn’t meet Alec). They were wonderful conversationalists and told me some wonderful stories about breaking bones & flipping on the tube at the lake. From a missionary perspective they were great at alternating, balancing & yielding to each other. So well behaved – they asked me to share some stories too! They came back a few minutes later with their mom, “Apparently they’re a fan! They want a picture!” So we took a picture & they asked for my phone number :) hahahaha So I wrote down Sister Despain from NC – and Ashli said she would try to look me up on Facebook. They came back again a few minutes later and asked for my sister’s name so they could find me easier. They were too cute – loved them.

The work here is going slowly but surely! I should take a picture of our world map! It’s amazing what we are able to accomplish all over the world when we are about the Lord’s work. We met a couple this morning from Belgium who were astounded by the fact that everyone in the church is a volunteer & furthermore that as missionaries we pay our own way. They said, “You see – I think that’s the problem – no one does this anymore. You are so convinced…and people just aren’t convinced like you are anymore!” They referred :)

I love life.

Sister Despain