Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Happy Singles Awareness Day!

For our part, we’re glad that this holiday fell on our P-day! So many people still have not learned that just because you’re together – doesn’t mean you have to be attached at the hip. It’s weird how that memo still hasn’t made it out to everyone. I’d put it on a sign for the guests…but I’m not sure that would be approved. Dang it. This week here at Temple Square was fantastic & full of miracles!

Thanks to Grandma & Pop for sending me a completely, 100% totally NOT sugar-free Valentine’s Day package ;) I figured it would be unkind NOT to eat it…so I shared some candy & cookies and then proceeded to feel very loved as I ate the rest! Thanks Mom & Dad for sending me your package – I wore the scarf the very next day! The sugar-free Mint Patties you sent are the best brand…you’re so brilliant ;) Not that I expected anything less than brilliance from the Despain clan – LOVE YOU!

On Tuesday we had a wonderful Zone Conference where I learned that as missionaries we make up 0.0007% of the world population! Which means that yes, we have a lot of work to do & also that we are very special to be called to do the Lord’s work! We got in touch with Jessica 4 from two transfers ago! She’s still praying & reading her Book of Mormon – she is going to get in touch with the missionaries again. She is so prepared!

On Wednesday we were talking to David(Inbound-Tues) and all of a sudden his lights went out!?! So we’ll call back tomorrow. We met a man up at Christus who told us about his wonderful 8 year old missionary of a daughter who invited her friend to Activity days! Afterwards, she asked her, “Did you like it? Do you want to come to church?...so…do you know about the three Kingdoms?” So we offered to call the family for him! A few minutes later, he’s chasing us down the Square – turns out his wife texted him two more potentials :) We were writing the name down when we notice he has a huge gash on his hand! He grabs a tissue out of his pocket, finishes with the numbers & then rushes off to catch his flight home! * Miracle man!*

On Thursday we had a wonderful tour with a couple, probably in their sixties – Al & Jewel. It was a very open, heart-felt discussion. At the New Testament Paintings he asked me, “Have you ever wondered…why there are so many churches?” I wanted to laugh & just stare & ask him if it was a joke – but instead we taught all about Christ’s Earthly Ministry, The Apostasy, The First Vision & The Restoration! They didn’t refer, but it was one of the best conversations I’ve had with guests my entire mission.

On Friday we got in touch with Yedenadam from Uganda! We’ll call back on Sunday. At Gateway I saw a mother & daughter who reminded me of the American Girl “Look Alike” dolls. Weird!

On Saturday we had super fantastic tour! We finished up lunch at Nauvoo Café & walked in East Gate. There we met Ryan, who told us that he was in town writing a story – because he’s a journalist. I know!!! [Yes, I did end up asking him about schooling & work etc.] So we took him all over the Square & even over to the Conference Center. We walked around the roof garden and had a really good conversation about how life has become so busy that people don’t make time to think about God. We invited him afterwards, in the New Testament Gallery & he accepted! We’re sending him missionaries and we’re also going to call him! He’s a political writer in D.C. how legit is that? His last girlfriend was an Evangelical Christian – which got him thinking about God. So he wants to figure out what he believes. I’m stoked.

On Sunday we got in touch with a very enthusiastic Dylan! He has been praying & we committed him to read from the scriptures every day! Everything is really falling into place in his life. He’s applying for this awesome dance internship program in New York. It sounds perfect for him! Weekly planning went well, mostly because we had loads of people to plan for! Yay! We also had a very effective C.I. – I will be working on talking more openly & frequently [I know, who knew I didn’t talk enough???]. I’m also going to be working on double testifying before I invite! I love constant improvement. I talked with a guy who called Inbound, wondering about our standards. I pulled up the For Strength of Youth pamphlet online & read sections to him as my answers! When I taught him the principle of decide-before-you’re-even-in-that-situation, he said, “You’re fanTAStic!!!” Thank you Mom & Dad for raising me beyond right :)

This week especially, we have been able to see that the Lord is just waiting to bless us. As we are obedient He pours miracles into our lives. It’s such a privilege to be serving here as a missionary! I love it! There isn’t anything else I’d rather be doing! I know this church is true. Why else would I smile 24-7 and wear a skirt every day? Must be something special :)

It’s a challenge, a blessing & the craziest world ever!

Love,

Sister Despain JR