Monday, December 19, 2011

Another Last

This week was another week of “lasts”. These kinds of weeks sure come around more often than I thought they would! Some less than important things like my last time running the OSU track, my last Sunday with a ward made up of more than just Sister missionaries, my last time having Elders in leadership and my last time locking Sister Baxter in the bathroom – jk. Some actually important lasts did happen this week though: My last time knocking doors; my last time teaching in the home; my last time searching the crowd in church to see if any investigators showed up.

Carolyn opened up a lot more this week; she told us stories about her son who passed away 15 years ago. At that time she didn’t grieve so she says that it’s catching up to her now. I hope that I never have to experience that heartache. At the same time, it’s brought her closer to God. We have high hopes that one day she will let it all go and then realize that the church is what she’s been wanting all these years.

Something that I have continued to learn throughout my experience here in Eugene is that I grew up in a very clean, happy, warm and Spirit-filled house :) There are so many people, members included who don’t have the true Spirit of Christ in their home and it’s sad to see! They need our help too, to come closer to Christ. This has been one of my greatest joys in being here in Oregon – being able to help more with less-active members.

I got to go through the Portland Temple this week with the other departing missionaries! It’s a beautiful temple; it was a good feeling to be back in the temple. The ride up & back was less than comfortable as I was squished in the back seat with two other people that were….less-than-small. I was certain I would come out of there with scoliosis or spina biffida or something! But all is well, my spine is still straight :)

I’m leaving a small part of my heart here in Oregon but I’m taking most of it back with me to TMSQ!!!

Read your scriptures, pray & hope for the best!

Sister Despain