Saturday, May 28, 2011

DL: "Chic-style"

District Leader Despain: Reporting :)

Wasn’t that fun? Did you ever expect me to say that? Want to hear it again? Just kidding – but it’s true! I’ve been called to serve as District Leader over District B in the Extended Zone of the Utah Salt Lake City Temple Square Mission. *Insert all forms of excitement here*

Last Saturday we went to the Himalayan Kitchen for some delicious Nepali food. It was amazing! I missed Sister Khadgi so much – she would have loved it. I miss eating with my hands :) We also went to the Gigal Gardens, a bizarre little garden that….you just have to Google because I don’t know how to describe it!
Miracle of the week: I passed off in Spanish!!!

We had Transfer Conference Monday morning! Ahhh! It’s so nerve-wracking. As you already know, I’m now a DL, I moved three doors down (no, not the band), my schedule is exactly the same & my new companion is Sister Douglas from Georgia. It’s a fairly large-ish change. I’ve never been Senior Companion. I’ve never been DL. I haven’t moved in 5 transfers [7.5 months] and Sister Douglas is actually our wheelchair Sister! As I let that sink in over the hours of the day I became apprehensive as to my capabilities regarding the whole situation. I didn’t think I had the patience, charity, humility or sense/awesomeness to be able to pull this off. Just a few days prior I remember telling S. Nelson, “I feel like if nothing changes – I’m not being challenged! And these two transfers with you have been so easily amazing that I think I need a challenge!” Well…there you have it. Challenge: Granted.

Sister Nelson & I parted ways Wednesday morning and I instantly missed her with all my heart. That day was straight up difficult. The first lady we took around wouldn’t look at Sister Douglas & I was unkindly close to slapping her proud little face off. That’s not Christ like though, so I didn’t. The second tour we took was great though. A couple from Colorado Springs, here for a family visit. We discovered that the wife was baptized but hadn’t been to church for 15+ years – the husband was very interested in learning more & loved Temple Square. After a completely un-pushy triple invite (I’m serious) they agreed to have missionaries visit them! We get to teach them :)

CHRIS GOT BAPTIZED ON THURSDAY!!!! He’s going to send us pictures :)
DANNY IS ON DATE FOR BAPTISM!!!! He lives in Taylorsville – so we totally get to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took my first Spanish tour as an official Spanish Sister, on Friday! Gratefully she was a very patient 21-year old member who is working on her mission papers! This was her first time to Temple Square & she loved just being here. She said if she could go anywhere on her mission – it would be Temple Square. She gave us two potentials!

Other than Chris & Danny there isn’t much to report investigator-wise. Over transfers things get crazy so we don’t set appointments for a few days. I kept 11 of our investigators and gave the rest to Sister Nelson; she has more time to take care of them now. I can’t wait to hear about Brittany’s baptism!

Sister Douglas is picking up GS pretty quickly! I did GS training Thursday night & apparently was hilarious enough to keep everyone’s attention! S. Douglas & I talk a lot, which is key to the beginning of a companionship. I love being a DL (so far) and I’m excited for the no doubt, very interesting transfer ahead of us!
I know God answers our prayers. I know that He loves us & gives us challenges to strengthen us. I know that with Him all things are possible. I know that when you pray for an abundance of love for a seemingly difficult situation – He will bless you with that which you need. The church is so true.

Love you all,

Sister Despain Jr.