Sunday, May 15, 2011

3-2-1 Best Week Ever!

PASSENGERS: FASTEN YOUR SEATBELTS!

Discoveries of the week:
1. There’s nothing like having someone else cut & style your hair :)
2. My family is the #1 supportive missionary family in the world!
3. Accidently “running into” other Sisters for dinner makes me feel like a spy.
4. Mandarin motor coaches prevent AND cause mental breakdowns.
5. Finding out your investigator is on date for baptism is exhilarating!!!

This week has hereby been deemed the most productive/exciting/fast-flying week of my mish! We were insanely busy everyday & had a blast working hard. I thought I knew the extent of important text messages & phone calls before the mission – I had no idea :) We called John (South Carolina) on Sunday & he told us all about his baptism! He “feels great” and has never been happier. He had a stroke a number of years ago so his speech is slow – but it has improved since talking with us! We are so glad that both he & his son have been able to come closer to Christ through baptism.

Chris (Alabama) texted us back, letting us know that he went to church, found the missionaries, met with them twice and will be getting baptized MAY 26th!!!! WE ARE SO EXCITED FOR HIM!!!!! He wants to go on a mission. Genius.

Sherri (Indiana) replied to our email message to say that she is still meeting with the Sister missionaries and will be getting baptized JUNE 11th!!! Okay, now it’s starting to sound redundant :) That’s all for now but we have felt so blessed to keep in touch with these wonderful people who have been prepared throughout their lives for this next step. It’s so rewarding to be a part of it. I love being a missionary!!!

Calling home for Mothers’ Day was wonderful. Everyone is still as crazy as I left them :)

Brittany (Alabama) told us a few weeks ago that she would probably lose her phone the next day. So we didn’t try calling her for a while. But we’re glad we did – she went to church this past Sunday & the missionaries said they would give her a call! So we hope everything runs smoothly there. Her situation is sad & very tricky so we’re doing all we can to lift her spirits. She is so sweet & just wants to find happiness and peace…as cliché as that sounds.

On the Square we took around a precious daughter of God, whom we’ll call Sue – because I don’t remember her name. In the SVC she informed us that we would not be going to Hell – because we love Christ. It was amazing to witness a situation where someone can be saying one thing – but what you HEAR them saying is the complete opposite :) She was an unforgettable contact because everything she said, agreed with our beliefs & then she went back on it – 5 seconds later. Weird, I know. She spent her talking time kindly attacking us for beliefs that she agrees with…which is hard to explain via letter. One day I’ll tell the story in more detail. Sorry, that made no sense. Trust me – it’s story-worthy!

Thursday night I had 3 Spanish calls to make. No pressure. Mom sent me a very motivating postcard that day – in Spanish! So that helped me feel more confident in calling Fernando, Sandra & Joanna. They’re all doing great! I’ve really come to see the power of teaching in brief & powerful statements. Sister Oyarzabal (roommate AND Spanish language coordinator) told me we will be role playing a tour & then I’ll pass off. It wasn’t an option…I’m totally psyched :)

Every day the buildings stay, the people change & the Sisters are always on their ‘A game’.

There is nowhere else I’d rather be! I love serving on Temple Square :)

Love,

Sister Despain Jr