Saturday, November 13, 2010

"You will attain the highest level of intelligence."

Hi Everyone! It's me, Sister Despain. Again...

Friday: I may or may not have made Sister Garbett do the acoustic demonstration while she's sick with her semi-raspy voice. She's never gonna let me live it down.

We met Regina at West Gate. She was here for the Chemical Engineers Of America conference. She's from Texas! We took her & Patty around and just after the first 5 minutes of our tour she said, "I'd really like to learn more about the beliefs of the church. I was raised Catholic but I'm pretty sure I'm going to change. So I've been researching & I'd like to learn all I can." It doesn't get easier than that :)

My very own mother sent my companion a postcard...and I got no mail that day. Bizarre sense of love going on here.

Saturday: Efrem will find out about his new job in a week. We're praying so hard for him to get it so he can move, go to church, be baptized & be amazing!!!! He's finished PMG so we sent him to the Gospel Principles manual online. We asked him to read Ch.38 & Ch.40 --- he said he'd finish the manual by the next time we call(in a week). Can I get an "Amen!"?

I got a BRAND NEW red cooking pot from the DI room! It still had the plastic wrap on it. SCORE! Sister Bateman asked me to accompany the Christmas Choir on a few songs...so I'm going to be stuck at the piano A LOT over the next month. We talked to two water color painters sitting on a flowerbed. Andrew & Kell. They were very nice, kinda interesting & only slightly awkward. Hahahaha but we invited them & had an even more awkward conversation after that & finally ended on a good note. Whew!

Sunday: Fast Sunday! We were early to church & I loved it. Before 11:00 am THREE people told us we were "lovely" or "beautiful" if that doesn't make your day - I don't quite know what will. We felt pretty great about ourselves...and really humble while we were at it.

We planned for an old man in a red windbreaker by the Assembly Hall (which was constructed in 1877...not 1888 -- not that I told someone that or anything). And as we passed the building, I looked back & saw an older guy in a read shirt & a red hat. Good enough for me! So we talked to him. He used to play baseball with Willy Mayes! Cool, huh? Apparently they lived in the same neighborhood as kids! He had a patch over his throat & one of those robotic-voice-makers...for people who had emphysema....stoma?...what part does a stoma play in this whole thing? Hmm...that would be helpful information. Never knew I used to google so much - until I couldn't!

We met Kate. She sings in MOTAB. She's famous & now we're friends. We are so popular - everyone wants to meet us! They come from far & wide because they hear how awesome we are & how hilarious and cute those TMSQ sisters are. It's a wonderful life.

The 12th Transfers & companions had a "Finish Strong" meeting. It was so necessary! Not that some certain people's companions have been getting trunky...or anything....but it was a great meeting! Sister Etienne said, "It's like my basketball coach used to say in the 4th quarter, 'Alright, this is your last chance. The whole game rides on this - the 4th quarter - lay it all out there.' and we worked our hardest in that last quarter because that's all we had left. And this is just like that. Now is that time."

Ever since then, we've been working like gangbusters to FIND FIND FIND!!!

Monday: Quote of the pre-7:00 morning? "I had a dream about Elder Uchtdorf!!!" hahahaha turns out she just met him...nothing cool like flying planes...sorry.

We got Chinese food at the food court! Now, this would generally not be an uber-exciting outing...except for the fact that I've never really ordered Chinese food at a restaurant! I KNOW! But Sister Garbett told me what to do & it all turned out alright! No one died & the food lasted two meals - always a good day. Oh, the awkward/funny/don't-even-know-what about this experience was this: As we walked into the food court "Stop & Stare" [One Republic] was playing, as we walked down the stairs and through the tables all 200 of the construction workers stopped....and stared at us! Rude! Didn't chyo mama eva teach you notta stayer? Guess not.

My fortune cookie: "You will attain the highest level of intelligence." Oooooooh!!!!!!

Garbett & I were in the AH paging when Sis' Gilbert & Williams came in. Garbett started role playing with them & accidentally said something that came off super inappropriate. Now picture this: four mature, respectable, fun-loving TMSQ Sister missionaries literally collapsing on the floor of the historic Assembly Hall. Ya.

We talked with Nate when he came out of seeing The Testaments. We had to intro another movie so we didn't have long to talk. As he went up the escalator he kept looking back - like he needed to talk more, like he needed help. I told Garbett what I thought & after we introduced the movie - we went looking for him. We found him & talked for 10 minutes or so. He said he's going through a rough time & a big event is coming up on Friday. He's got everyone praying for him & fasting for him. He was very vague. But he came to TMSQ to get away & to feel the spirit. We shared our testimonies & told him to enjoy the peace of Temple Square. I'm really glad we found him again and were able to talk with him.

Tuesday: We took a tour first thing! Six people from the Snowbird Resort. We balanced really well between pioneer stories, history, testifying & companions! No one referred because their boss said they were just their for business (and somehow eternal salvation doesn't apply to you because you're here on business???) but if someone wanted more information they could come back on personal time. Ok. Fine. We just thought we'd offer you eternal happiness -- whatever -- not a big deal.

Teaching training with President & the APs went well. I felt pumped to actually make calls! Amazing, right? It's been a struggle because no one picks up. At all. But guess what? TWO people picked up!!! They weren't interested...but they picked up!!! Who knew it really was all about faith & attitude???

We were going to bed, joking around & I slammed my head against the wall. It was slightly hilarious. Oh the little joys in life. Speaking of which - I decided I'm taking back my scale to Wal-mart & upgrading. "Is there anything wrong with it?" "The numbers keep going up?!?!?" hahahaha Ok, but seriously they don't -- I'm not gaining weight! -- I just discovered that I like seeing the digital numbers. Besides, you lean over to see the numbers & the needle goes up! Upgrade: Necessary.

Wednesday: I called Sarah Cook to report on a potential she gave me. He's allowing us to call & teach him more! Yay! And I forgot that it was just after 8:00 NC time & it was Wednesday i.e. Institute night. Jeff was standing RIGHT THERE next to her! Ahhhh! I wanted to talk to him SO badly but I knew I'd feel horrible afterwards if I did. So now I'm just super-duper excited for Christmas!!!

I talked to a referral that Becky Lou Pigg gave me the day before conference & she is going to meet with the missionaries!!! I had NO idea what to say to her at one point, so I was praying so hard to know what the heck to say to her. She asked me "What's it like, being on a mission?" And then I basically ended up pouring my heart out to her! I think I needed that answer more than she did. It was kind of like that "aha" moment that Elder Rogers has in The Best Two Years when he talks to Kyle & says "That's why I'm here. To bring you this message." And so I told her about how it's hard some days, but what makes it all worth it is the change you see in people. How you see the light come into their eyes, you can hear them change over the phone. Being that person who brings them so much good - makes it all worth it. My family has always been there to support me in everything I do. I know they support me in this. I told her that as she started meeting with the missionaries & going back to church, she would be able to find the best way to talk to her family about it. I then asked her if she would allow the missionaries to visit her, she accepted. And that was my first on-my-own RC phone call where the person accepted the local missionaries!!!

And it's those experiences that make it worth it.

I love you all, thank you so much for writing & keeping in touch. Thanks for being good examples to your friends & family. Stay strong. If you feel too far away to be brought back to the safety of the gospel -- know that no one is ever too far from the Savior. It's through Him that we can return to live with our Heavenly Father. The message we have to share is not taking away from what anyone believes, it is only adding to the good they already have in their life. If there is anyone you know who could use a call from two wonderfully uplifting Sister missionaries please get in touch with my Mom for our phone number. We would love to call any non-members you know!

"Come, come ye Saints No toil or labor fear. But with joy wend your way." Our purpose in this life is to find happiness & the gospel is how we can do that. Continue to live it & love it. Share it with everyone because this gospel is for everyone. Don't be afraid -- God is on your side. And with Him all things are possible.

Love,
Sister Ainsley