Friday, November 5, 2010

The Day I Learned How to Breathe

Thursday November 4, 2010

Hello Everyone!

This week wasn't terribly hard or challenging or horrible (not that any ever are) but I am very pleased to have the chance to say "Happy P-day!"

From what I hear, sounds like all is well in all other parts of the world. Oh, except for Indonesia -- I heard there was an earthquake there with a 5.2 aftershock?!? [Courtesy of Brian the security guard, he filled me in on a few world-related things.] I was sorry to hear of Sis Barney passing away, but I know that she is in a better place & hope that the knowledge we have of the Plan of Happiness brings comfort to her family at this time. This aspect of the gospel is something we share a lot with guests here on the Square. It's amazing to watch someone come to understand that this might not be all there is! How blessed we are to know that we can live with God & loved ones again, after this life.

Thursday: After emailing we drove to Burlington to look for boots. Nothing. When we finally made it home again we had 2 hrs left in our Pday. No bueno. I wrote 1 letter & 2 postcards. Feel lucky you three!

Friday: I cleaned the tree we got from Sis Johnson - it looks very green & healthy...as healthy as a fake tree can :) And I think those researchers are right -- having a green plant in some way, shape or form DOES bring a healthier/happier energy into the room! I love it!

We called Jessica (AZ), she sounds so much better. Much more coherent. We explained more in detail how when we're baptized we go ALL the way under the water - don't know how the elders left that out, but we cleared it up, so we're good!

I found a typo in the newsroom for lds.org!!! who is in charge of these things?!? The quotation mark was in the wrong place. I love love love the "Lifelong Learning" page on mormon.org under Values (I think) so good! Right on - it's so true. What a wonderful principle to live by. I would strongly encourage everyone, especially students to read it. Keep the future in mind.

I had a Spanish chat! It went well. He served a mission in Colorado but is less active. I committed him to go back to church on Sunday. Hopefully he will. No way of knowing....

I realized today that I am & have been incredibly self-motivated. I love it. Other people are motivated by gifts & LOTS of positive feedback or special attention. I love that feeling you get when you know that YOU did something well & you're really proud of yourself. Life is much more simple when you are your motivation. I also realized at this point that my parents were always there - in my business - caring if I did well or not. I'm glad they did. I have accomplished so much because of their love & support.

Saturday: We called Jessica (FL) & checked in with her before her baptism on Sunday. She is SO golden! She is wonderfully on top of things. When we teach her, she understands everything & is definitely one of those "it all makes sense" investigators. Her life wasn't horrible before we met her, but she tells us she is much happier now. We can hear it in her voice.

Sister Garbett taught me how to breathe! Ok not quite - but she really did. She taught me how to breathe correctly for a better singing voice. We sing for comp study & it's amazing how alike our tones are - we almost sound like the same person. She said I have a more naturally clear voice than her and that if I work on my breathing I could make it stronger! So I'm practicing breathing :) She wants me to sing a duet with her for her sacrament meeting performance this transfer. Complete with a solo...I don't solo. We'll see! Maybe this will be a good growing experience.

We had ChatFinding this afternoon, to no avail. We shared the gospel as much as a person can with people who don't want to listen & only want to waste your time. It's so fun! Seriously - I think I am the only person who likes ChatFinding. What can I say? It makes me feel productive!

We got sent home at 6:00 -- because it was Halloween Eve...or something like that :)

Sunday: Happy Halloween! Sister Garbett gave her departing talk in church, it went really well. She practiced the night before & everything. Sister Emily Batemen (Washington) performed a vocal number -- it was so lovely. She has been trained well & makes it looks so easy! I love listening to her. We met on facebook before we came out, she knows Katherine Lyman! Small world. Oh, speaking of small world -- I ran into David & Makenzie Martinez's next door neighbor! What are the chances!?! It was down-right amazing.

Sisters Williams (Scotland) & Gilbert (NY) saw DAVID ARCHULETA! hahahaha yes we're 15 yrs old & we love it. He was by WestGate, waiting to cross the street - he turned around...wait for it....looked at them & then smiled AND waved!!! Crazy, right? They're best friends with him now. Bahahahaha it's amazing what small things amuse 200 Sister Missionaries. We're so easily entertained.

We got a return appointment with James (UK) from Chat! We're excited & we hope it actually goes through.

We took Lucio on a go-see today. He is a young Korean college student living here in Salt Lake with a host family. He is studying Law! He loved everything we taught him. When we pulled out The Book of Mormon & showed it to him he wanted to hold it & flip through page after page after page :) Sister Garbett told him that every verse has something significant for us in that time in our lives. She put her faith into action, picked a scripture on a page he had flipped to, read it & amazingly enough (and yet not so amazingly) it totally applied! It was perfect! He referred for missionaries but doesn't have a phone. So we emailed him & got his address. And get this -- he said he will go out tomorrow & buy a pre-paid cell phone so he can be easier to get in touch with for the missionaries!!! How come some people are just fantastic?

I passed the written driving test today! Look out Salt Lake: Sister Despain is about to be driving!!! AHHHH!!!! No but seriously - you might want to avoid the roads :) Totally kidding - my Dad taught me well - I know how to drive cautiously & defensively - we shouldn't be havin' no problems (insert Jamaican accent back there).

We had a 'Mission Meeting' for Halloween a.k.a. PARTY: TMSQ Style So we ate popcorn, drank soda (because it's soda not pop - Pop is the name of the coolest-of-the-cool father of your mother known to man!). We watched The Emma Story & The Errand of Angels. Both great movies. It was a fun night.

Monday: Today was good. I got a letter from Meg! Yay! ALL the way from Taiwan! She writes very optimistic & uplifting letters - just what I needed to hear.

We called Efrem (Ethiopia) and he is doing SO good! He has been studying PMG Ch.3-9 Ya I know! Crazy, huh? He's not even baptized yet! He's the greatest 24 yr old ever. We are always praying that he'll get one of those jobs closer to church -- so he can start the rest of his life!

While we were walking around the Square, we starting humming "Edelweiss" -- complete with harmony. It was the bomb.com :)

As we walked up to the Christus, the setting sun shone through the window. There were two people being contacted at the benches & it hit me again that I'm a sister missionary on TEMPLE SQUARE! I love those moments. It's the coolest feeling ever.

We met 21 yr old Tom in front of the Assembly Hall. He is a recently returned missionary from Chile. He lives in Kaysville & biked down to SLC. Ya -- that's right I said biked. He had these super-cool bike shoes that clicked into the pedals. Now that's legit. He said that going to the Temple every week after your mission helps you adjust. I'll keep that in mind.

Tuesday: We started doing Companionship prayer at 6:30 every morning! It's a great way to start our day (rhymes!), we're much more unified.

I'm not as "make it count - don't count down" as I'd like to be. I'm working on it. Some days are better than others. There are so many things that go into making a great day - it's amazing how complicated it is. Your mood, if you got to bed on time, if the Square is completely dead or not & if you want to kill your comp or not! jokes - we use "I feel" statements, so we never feel like killing each other :) Did I mention that I made it to Sister Garbett's Top 3 Companions list!?!??! Ya! I'm so proud. I get to inherit her super-cute silver flats! I'll send pics next transfer.

We had service at Heritage Park from 10-1, our job was to "de-Halloween" a cabin. I was like "Ok, that's cool - as long I don't have to do the creepy doll-parts & life-size puppets cabin! I'm good!" Guess which cabin we had do? Go on, guess. Yup -- the creepy doll-parts & life-size puppets one. Even in the daylight it was creepy! And it didn't help at all when Sister Fox (MA) found the CD player & turned on the creepy music with kids saying "Let's play hide & seek..." AHHHHH!!!! You kinda have to be there. I got used to the doll parts...but I refused to take down those puppets. I did a lot of sweeping. Oh my goodness, you would not believe how much dust, rocks, mulch etc was in there! There must have been some original 1800's dirt in there it was so amazingly dirty!

Jessica (FL) is a member now!!! We are so thrilled that we were blessed with this opportunity to be her guides through this spiritual journey. She is so amazing and now she has the knowledge of the fullness of the gospel to share with everyone! Her father said the missionaries could come & talk to him! We're pretty stoked. The members in her ward are simply ideal! Her first Sunday there these two brothers invited her to a baseball game! After that she was invited to Institute & FHE! She's got friends there in the ward and it's wonderful. We're so happy for her & know that this is a blessing not only to her but also to all those she will be an influence on in the future.

Did I mention, no I didn't -- I'm rooming with ALL 12th transfers!!! AHHH!!! They can all be trunky but I'm only a 2nd transfer (hahaha I love saying that - I'm a SECOND transfer - I'm a SECOND transfer - I'm a SEC -- ok I'm done) so I can't be trunky with them. They are Sister Droge (Germany) & Sister Quieroz (Brazil) they're great roommates, clean, non-obnoxious & with a love of The Best Two Years soundtrack :)

I PASSED MY ACTUAL DRIVING DRIVING TEST!!! I was so nervous the whole time, it's just 4 of us 20-something yr olds in the car - no police people - but oh man! My heart was going a mile-a-minute. Sometimes I cope with being that nervous by taking the focus off of me -- and being funny instead! Hahahaha so I was cracking jokes my whole test ;) It was hilarious -- I wasn't the only one laughing either -- some of you might know that a lot of the hysterically entertaining comments I make are purely for my own amusement....but I like to share it. So it was good. I passed, I had an interview with President, he reluctantly signed my form -- he said that he shivers every time he thinks about missionaries getting into cars, with good reason -- and then I was officially official! Yay!

I discovered that Sister Holmes'(mission president's wife) office sign is incorrect! It says: [Mission Presidents' Wife] which, unless there is another mission president that I don't know about -- is incorrect! What is it with people these days! Don't they proof ANYTHING!??!?!

Wednesday: I threw my pillow at Sister Garbett :) Her alarm went off for EVER! So I had no other options...I threw the pillow. She woke up - turned off her alarm - and all was right in the world. Great way to start, huh? So exciting! You're not even awake yet & *BAM* something hits you! She loved it.

We had historical training with President. I don't know everything, I'm telling ya that right now (insert Brian Regan voice back there). So it was very helpful! The Family Search Center in the JSMB is part of our campus now! It's so exciting!

In the Tabernacle we had a contact with a Mr. Jarvis who works in the medical field. He commented, "You both are incredibly attractive!" ....well....we're not gonna argue much on that point :) hahahaha He then asked us, "Are you really as wholesome as you seem?" Which I was incredibly pleased to be able to confidently reply, "Yes."

It was a defining moment for me. No one asks you straight up if you are as wholesome as you seem to be, so it's not something I've really thought about. But when that unexpected moment came -- I was filled with peace, knowing that I could honestly answer in the affirmative.

Turns out he was a member :) He told Sister Garbett to get her cough checked by the doctor because it could be more than a cold. She's been coughing for 2 days. ALL THE TIME. And I have not felt frustrated with it more than twice! I am quite frankly, amazed! Who knew I could be so patient?!?

We called Jessica (AZ) who is on date for this Saturday!!! Her aunt called her & told her off, telling Jessica her sins wouldn't go away. But we were pleased to hear that Jessica defended herself & her belief of the truthfulness of the gospel. She hasn't had the most positive family life, so we continue to pile on the love :) She knows she is a daughter of God. She knows that she is special & deserves the best. We were sorry to hear that the Elders have limited contact with her, so we continue to teach her in mini-lessons. We had to clarify that it's "baptism FOR the dead" as in 'in behalf of' ...not baptizing dead people. Ya...hahaha it was an interesting conversation.

------

Sister Sanders (AZ) came in during email time & told us that she & her comp Sis Bailey (Australia) saw the Prophet AND the 12 Apostles in the COB!!!!! How awesome is that!?!?!?!? ONLY here in Salt Lake City :) I have yet to see them in person, outside of Conference. We are set up for a very lazy, letter writing filled P-day. Our P-days have been insanely busy as of late, so we're actually going to take a break!

Exciting FYI: We're going to East High next P-day!!! Home of the Wildcats!!! We're pretty stoked. Not that we...like...High School Musical....or anything :)

Highlight of being a TMSQ sister missionary: The Dr.Seuss Flowers!!! I have absolutely no idea what they are actually called, but I have dubbed them "Dr.Seuss" flowers. There is only one flower that grows alone & it just pops right out of the ground! Mkay...that doesn't sound cool -- I'll send pics & hopefully you can see why they're called what they are! I love them!

Everything is going so well here on Temple Square. Sometimes I still can't believe that I'm a Sister Missionary on TMSQ! THE TMSQ! It's so exciting! I finally got how to say Hello in Korean...but I have no idea how to spell it -- Anihasio! Something like that :)

Thank you all for your letters & updates, it's so nice to receive mail! I've got all sorts of time to write letters today, I've got 14 people on my list....so hopefully some of you will hear from me soon! It's been another great week here on Temple Square, where the Dr.Seuss flowers brighten your day, the Christmas-light-putter-uppers start work in August and the incredibly attractive Sister Missionaries are as humble as ever & loving every moment.

Love you all,

Sister Ainsley Marie