Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Oklahoma!, Jack Spratt & Strobe Lights in Jerusalem :)


Hola mi familia y todas las personas quien leen estas palabras, que tal?

You guessed it! I got to use my Español this week – again! We ran into a family down at Scripture/Revelation in the NVC basement and it turned out they didn’t know too much English. So I whipped out my less-than-stellar Spanish skills and was able to find out that they are members, visiting Temple Square for the first time! They’re from Chile & moving here in August. Why they would move from beautiful Chile to America…I’ll never know. But SLC seemed to suit them just fine!

On Tuesday – Pday – we ventured to Uptown Cheapskate aka Sister Despain’s new favorite store of all time. Despite the fact that we had to brave into the world of reverse parking (who designed that anyways?) it was a really good trip! I found some super cute stuff and will most definitely be going back. On our way over to the Indian Market a horribly drunk guy stumbled into the street from behind a car! No worries – I, being the defensive & very much aware driver that my father made me into, stopped in time and let him trip across the road, unscathed. Whew! I bought Dosa at the Indian Market – it’s Indian pancakes. I’m going to have to stick with American Pancakes…but it was an interesting experience to make them!

On Wednesday the sky was so blue & the sun was shining so beautifully you never would have guessed that it was a January morning in Utah. I loved it! We got in touch with Dylan again. He still doesn’t know what he believes. Sometimes I wish I could just snap him out of his little existential experience & help him wake up and realize that this is what he’s looking for!!! Oh well. Until then, he’s keeping commitments and hopes to go to church soon.

On Thursday we had our first experience with 8:00 AM Chat!!! YAY! Actually, it was really great! So many legit people come on that early – most from other countries. It was one of the best, most sincere Chat experiences we’ve had in a while. Word on the street is that Pop was over at the COB! He ran into Sisters Alejandro & Rosenburg and they told me that he was here & said hey! HEY POP!!!!!!!!! On the Square, we met Angie who is from Mexico. She moved here to go to LDSBC for English classes. She likes it but missed her family. She gave us two of her friends to call! It’s times like these that I wish I was in a Spanish-speaking mission. But at the same time – at least we get all the other countries here too! I got a little excited when I check mail and ended up grabbing another Sister’s DearElder letter! I opened it, didn’t recognize the Sender’s name, flipped it over and realized that I’m not Sister A. DeMontigny!

On Friday we had the happy news of finding out that the Elders in Alabama got in touch with Don!!! He’s actually in the hospital right now but they called & set up an appointment! We’re so glad to hear that they did eventually get in touch with him. He doesn’t have the internet so we can’t email him The Book of Mormon or a video or anything! We’re very glad now. Dylan is same-old-same-old, except for the fact that he’s getting sick. We met Family History Center Elder Nelson down in the NVC, sitting outside of Theatre 5. He then proceeded to sit there for the following 5 hours….? At the end of the night, we were coming down the Christus ramp to a somewhat deserted NVC. So I decided to brush up on my secret agent stealthy skills. I pulled out my gun & hid behind a pillar. I twirled around to the next one. I sneaked over to flatten myself against the South Wall…and ended up slamming my hip into the railing! Looks like I need some improvement on my Ninja skills. My bruise, however – is quite lovely.

On Saturday I had District Leader Companion Training! First ever for the mission! GENIUS! It was a great chance for all of us DLC’s to gather together and discuss way to cope with our role in life  The AP’s told us that we are the most proactive Sisters in the mission – because we have to be! Our companions are busy a lot of the time and we have to find things to do. So we discussed questions, concerns, and comments & even told a few jokes. Just kidding. But it really was a good, uplifting meeting and it made me feel less….invisible. While at desk in the SVC I talked with a man who lives here in downtown. He’s originally from Preston, ID. I’m really glad he came to the Square at that time. He told me all about how you have to be super special to get called to serve on Temple Square. There’s no such thing as an easy mission – but Temple Square takes something more. He was a wonderful reminder that this IS a mission and that we ARE missionaries and what I already know and feel like I have to convince everyone of – IS TRUE. Sister Terry is back from Outbound! She and her last companion taught one of my Square referrals in Laramie, Wyoming!!! Her companion is set on having him baptized, so Sis Terry said I have nothing to worry about  I love hearing about our referrals. It’s the best. We called a referral from Chat today, Mason. After our discussion – we still weren’t sure whether Mason was a boy or girl. Ya…wish us luck!

On Sunday Sister Hernandez from Mexico, was one of the speakers. Something that stuck with me was “Never let a day pass without touching the lives of others by bearing your testimony.” That is what we do here on the Square, every day! Even if they don’t refer – we can still share with them that we know these things are true. Again with the weather, it was so nice! I literally started singing “Oh what a beautiful morning...” from Oklahoma! It was just that nice  We had a Nepali call with a man living here in SLC. I made a list of words that she said, I thought might actually BE words…..3/30 – not bad, huh?!? We oh so cleverly figured out that Mason is in fact, a boy. A 13 year old boy to be exact – yes we will be calling his father for confirmation that we can be teaching him. I tell ya, some hilariously awkward things happen while you’re on a mission. I was finally able to get in touch with Jennifer in West Virginia! She and her boyfriend have job interviews this week and we are hoping for the best! While Sister Khadgi had District Leader interviews, I was on Desk with Sister Paravato & Sister Penafiel(Bolivia). I got to speak Spanish with Sister Penafiel for about 5 minutes and she said I was really good! She’s really nice  Speaking Spanish always puts me in a good mood – and I really needed it. Amazing how those things work out. It was sort of unpopulated in the NVC…so Sister Bryers(Australia) and I ended up having a strobe light party in Jerusalem! Hahahaha Visitors’ Centers are so fun! In talking with Sister Felici & Sister Penafiel – I got a strong second opinion that I need to get my hair cut. I know. I’ve know for a month. I just don’t feel like going through the hassle of going to get it done OR just doing it myself like I have for the last few years. So I went home, took a shower (latest discovery for more time in the am), sucked it up & just cut 2 inches off my hair! Ta da! It took me about 15 minutes and looks so much healthier! I love it!

This morning (Monday) we taught Sally again. She is 18 and we got her from a Brazilian we met on the Square, Maxwell. They are Facebook friends and luckily, turns out that she’s golden! She prayed at the end of our meeting – it’s still one of my all time favorite things, to hear someone pray for the first time. Best EVER!
This week I took the Christ-like Attributes test and found out that I’ve either gotten worse since the MTC…or just more realistic. Either way, I have five of the seven attributes to improve on ;) Gotta start somewhere, right? Charity is first…wish me LOTS of luck. I’ll need it.

Quote for the week: “Ugh! Africa is so hard to understand!” – Sis Felici(TX) I love that we have this problem, of having issues hearing Africa ;) We’re teaching people in AFRICA!!!! I looked at our map today – we have IRCs[Investigator Referral Confirmed] in every continent – except for Antarctica but who lives there anyways. Isn’t that awesome! We literally ARE teaching the world. It’s so rewarding to know that each day I wake up, we get to find more souls to save in every time zone! There are people everywhere and we get to find them ALL!!!

LOVING EVERY DAY! [Literally]
Sister Ainsley Marie