Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Agency Givers

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Machtaba! [Or however you say hello in Arabic, which is what I learned this week!]

Friday: I saw Elder Widenhouse on my way onto the Square this morning! He's like a ray of sunshine -- you can't help but smile! Finally ran into Michael Lawyer, I heard several times that he was here in SLC but never saw him! Until today! It was good catching up. Sis Thomas sent me advent calendars that were supposed to go to Elder Thomas but they can't have Christmas decorations?!?! That's ok with me! I was reading the note she wrote me, walking into the kitchen when *BAM* I slammed my head into Sister Doggett's open locker! hahahaha it was priceless...I love mail so much -- I sacrifice physical comfort :) Greg Olsen was in Deseret Books, signing paintings! I didn't bring my wallet with me (brilliant) so I couldn't get even a dinky little card for him to sign! Oh well...next time.

We called Adriano again, - I LOVE talking to him! He read Enos just like he said he would & he also told us he liked it because "Enos...is just like me." I know. I love him too. He went on to talk about how he feels like he has all these burdens on his shoulders because of his addictions. We told him that as he continues to read the scriptures, pray & make it to church on Sundays, he will feel that burden get lighter. We also talked about repentance & the Atonement. Our last phone call he said he'd make his "best effort" to get to church. But THIS phone call, he said he "promises, swears" he will go to church! We were so excited to hear that! Church is the best! After he said our closing prayer, he said he's been feeling much better over the last few days! The gospel is the best.

Saturday: We met a man from Czech Republic! He was here on business. We took him to the temple display & talked for a bit about family and the gospel but were unsuccessful in getting him to refer for a missionary visit. He travels a lot, that's always a complication.

When we were announcing at the Cristus that night there were these kids who were all up on the touch screen that has the volume controls on it. I wanted to be like, "Hi -- see the badge? Ya...I'm in charge. Step aside." But Sister Garbett patiently asked how they were doing & told them not to touch it. Yay for companions :)

We talked to this guy who served his mission with Alex Carroll! Small world! As we were talking this older lady comes up & politely demands to see "God's Plan for His Family". Why do some people think it's ok to interrupt two very busy Sister Missionaries who are busy about uplifting members? Wait your turn. Thanks.

Sunday: We had a meeting with President Holmes about The Living Christ. It was really good, some wonderful insights into a wonderful declaration.

Sister Garbett ended up seeing a crazy amount of people she knows! Must be time to head home!

Sister Murphy came for the Christmas Devotional (which was amazing!)! She taught me in the MTC & she is just awesome! She's so good -- she's very observant & extremely motivating. We talked with her later, she put her hands on my shoulders, stared into my soul & asked "How are you doing." Oooh...she's good :) She knew I needed her to ask that. You can really tell she cares about each of the Sisters that she trains. She makes you feel important. That's a great attribute to have as a teacher.

We called Adriano! He talked A LOT :) He went to church but only for part of Sacrament Meeting. We were so excited about him promising to go, we forgot to prepare him for it! We didn't tell him what to expect or anything! What kind of over-excited missionaries are we?!??! It was testimony meeting too, so he thought they were getting up there to confess their sins. That took a bit of explanation. He had some complications with the idea of a prophet, so we sent him the link for the Christmas Devotional. He promised to pray about it. We sure hope that helps.

Monday: Happy 17th Birthday Elena!!! Ahhhhh!!!! I thought time stopped while I'm out on a mission? Guess not.

Transfer Conference this morning. We sang "Once there was a Snowman" & "Must Be Santa" -- it was so fun :) Sister Williams is going outbound to Florida! And Sister Johnson is going to Raleigh NC!!!!! Keep a look out for her! She's a wonderful missionary -- Raleigh is so lucky.

Transfer 3: Zone, N3 -- Apartment, same! -- Companion, Sister Khadgi from Nepal!

We called Adriano again, to hear what he thought of the Christmas Devotional. Afterwards, we determined that he is not prepared at this time. We'll call him in a week or so to see how he's progressing. It's sad dropping people who were initially making so much progress. But we are encouraged to only keep those who are committed & interested. So we can focus on those who will make the most progress. The Christmas Choir performed again tonight, not too shabby :)

When Sister Gilbert performs her solo, I'm always standing in front of the NVC lounge door -- just smiling & singing along, trying to be supportive. It reminded me of how my family has always been there for all of my concerts :) My family is the best.

I got a letter from Mom (always makes my day) and the cutest package from the Brimhalls! It was adorable! Little box that opened up into a missionary apartment, with tiny presents that had wonderful Christmas messages inside. Don't forget the chocolate too!

Tuesday: I was on exchanges for SEVEN hours because the Departing Sisters had their Departing Lunch & Temple Trip. I missed Sister Garbett so much!

Wednesday: I drove Sister Garbett to the airport. We'd been going full-speed for so long, the end came before either of us knew it! Where does the time go?

I was on the verge of tears all day & it didn't help that EVERYONE asked how I was doing without Sister Garbett. A little alone time can go a long way. For sure.

I helped Sister Bailey (NZ) take a tour through the Beehive House!!! Ahhh! Hahahaha I didn't know squat...but heck -- the kids couldn't tell.

We came out of God's Plan & met 3 Spanish SLC Elders who wanted to take a family through. So we did! We all hopped in the first room, I came in & pulled out a little "Cómo están todos?" The Elder who was up at the front to translate said, "Oh...you know Spanish..." & started heading for the back. I told him, "That's about it --- so you might wanna stay up here." He helped me introduce the presentation & we were off! I really really really needed that Spanish presentation. I was able to bear my testimony at the end in Spanish, which really helped me feel like myself. The Elder double testified at the end & the whole thing was just a wonderful presentation. I loved it. I ran into the trio later & thanked them for bringing the family here. Turns out one of them was Elder Arnell, who I met a few months ago -- he grew up in NC! They brought another family a few days later, we waved -- it's like having friends!

Thursday: Today was so good! It just FLEW by! I forgot to mention that on Tuesday I misplaced my Book of Mormon, which also had my new book of stamps, my security card, my credit card, & about 15 potentials!!! So....ya. I couldn't find it anywhere! But Sis Rodriguez called me & said she found it in her apartment? Don't know how it got there...but I don't really care. I'm whole again! Hahahaha

The FIRST person we talked to referred! Amazing, huh? I'm excited for this transfer! I decorated my planner, it's all cute with "Transfer Three" on the front....I love it! Sis Wilde made a guessing game for a Sister who just came from Outbound, called "Who trained Despain" she gave her 5 options & as soon as she said Garbett the sister was like "Ya! Garbett! That's it --- you reminded me of someone but I couldn't figure out who!" The same comments...and she's not even here!

Dad wrote me! Things have been new & different & kinda crazy & I really needed to hear from my father. He's always been so steady & sure, he's always been there & I know that he loves me. It's nice to have a reminder every once in a while :)

Friday: This transfer is gonna be intense! I'm so excited! We talk to absolutely EVERYONE. We invited 16 members & 6 guests. Which may not sound like a lot...but you try stopping anyone here during Christmas time -- it would make the list of "Impossible things to Achieve".

Both Sis Gilbert & I are having a difficult time without our Trainers. But we are that much more excited to see each other! We write notes to each other :) We're so sneaky! K, not really. But we like to think we are. Sis Hansen called me while I was in computers, to let me know I got a letter from Elder Edwards. Bahahahahahaha! She is so hilarious. And useful, did I mention that? Then I had an additional 30 min to be excited about mail! He is such a hard working Elder, I love hearing about his investigators and companions & how the work is going in Mesa. He said they're going to "set this area on fire!" which makes me want to work that much harder. Missionaries are the coolest.

"James" called Inbound & ended up talking to me for an hour about Christ. It was only an hour because the phone cut out. And it did actually cut out. It was entirely unintentional. I promise.

Saturday: Is a special day, it's the day we get ready for Sunday! I was on Chat & a guy asked my opinion on Stephanie Meyer as a fellow "Mormon". In reply to my response he said "Very diplomatic. I agree." Turns out my being-able-to-answer-diplomatically-while-shopping-with-someone skills come in handy on the mission :)

We got two new investigators!!! One lives in Raleigh, his name is Logan & he's going to NCSU! He's going home for Christmas break -- but he'll be back in January! Jeff....look for an update on that in a few weeks :) Huzzah for knowing the Elders Quorum President of the Singles Ward. Soooo convenient. Our other investigator is Dylan. I met him on Chat. He goes to FSU but will be home for Christmas in Jacksonville. Guess who goes to the Singles Ward in Jacksonville? Go on, guess. It's so incredible I can't even believe it. JESSICA 2!!! The Bomb.Com Jessica! I want them to meet, so Dylan will have that connection & Jessica would be the best fellowshipper ever! I'll keep you all updated!

Sister B. Hernandez said in passing, "Ha- you sound just like Garbett."

Sunday: Elder Richard G. Hinckley came to our Sacrament Meeting!!!! Who ever knew I'd be able to say that :) Afterwards, we were working on the computers & who should come in, but the APs, President & Elder Hinckley!!! They passed, we were cool -- cuz we're supposed to let them approach us. After 10 min, President comes back in, "Sister, if you're not on a call right now -- come meet Elder Hinckley!" So I whip my chair around & *BAM* he's right there! So I stand up & introduce myself "It's a Laraby to meet you Sir." [just kidding....didn't do that.] It was so cool! When he left, he said, "See ya!" I'm thinking...ya? Are you gonna be around again sometime soon, cuz ...that would be....cool, ya know. If it works in your schedule.” He called TMSQ the "Crown Jewel"

We called Logan & talked with him. He's great, I really like him. He's very open & has wonderful insights into the gospel of Jesus Christ. We had absolutely lovely weather today!!! Blue sky, the sun was shining & I'm pretty sure I heard the birds from Enchanted on the Square at some point :)

Our time has been cut down on emailing, so I don't have time for too much of Monday but I got to see Gma & Pop! They came for my concert! See! Even while I'm on my mission, my family still makes it to my concerts! One way or another --- I'll write about it next week! I know this church is true. No amount of trolls & time-wasters can persuade me otherwise. We as missionaries are here to bring people to the knowledge of the truth or to be "The Agency Givers". Without that chance we present, of learning more about Christ, people don't even have the chance to reject it! What we have to offer has an immediate effect & has an eternal lifetime warranty! We're talking post-nuclear explosion the things that will last are cockroaches, Twinkies & what we offer. Eternal Salvation. Hmmm, let’s see which is most important??? Eternal Salvation! It's yours & it's free! We'd love to have the missionaries come visit you. Some reject it and the smart ones accept it but we're here for both as they will.

I love being a missionary. Everyday is a great day on Temple Square.

Make time for the important things in life.

Sister Ainsley Marie